>> Links. The hike begins by winding through a dense forest along the edge of the Rising Sun campground before transitioning into a fairly steep incline. Note that this is no longer a glacier and hasn't been for nearly 25 years. Made it to the top of the glacier via some post holing. It is a quick hike–1.5 miles round-trip if you climb to the top, but only about 1 mile round trip if you only hike the lake and back. I would suggest ski goggles if you have some in case the wind is blowing like it was today. St Mary’s Glacier can be accessed from the south, and you can climb up the trail, to a high alpine meadow at the base of James Peak for a truly spectacular view of the Colorado Front Range. Trailhead Elevation: 10,428’ Elevation Change: +570, net elevation gain Trailhead Location: From I-70, exit #238 for St Mary’s – Alice – Fall River Road. No traction needed for me today. Snow was packed but not too slippery. See park web site for map with latest area closure. For 4 people from Florida it was quite a challenge but worth every moment and breathtaking view! We are just 15 minutes from the Canadian border, and approximately 3 hours from Great Falls, Kalispell and Calgary, Alberta. It was a beautiful, sunny day on May 12th. Definitely would suggest investing in a pair of snow shoes because it is very slick on the way down! if you have the gear though, totally worth the effort. Trail in Arapaho National Forest. Just hiking shoes would have been tough with the deeper snow up top. At St. Mary, the Great Plains of Montana stretch to the east and the mountains of Glacier National Park scrape the sky to the west—this is one of the most dramatic backdrops of all Glacier National Park hotels. Beautiful views. From the trailhead follow a wide and well groomed trail/road towards St. Mary's Glacier. snowy and suuuuper windy. Dogs are allowed on the trail on leashes. Highly recommend it! Parking is $5 per day. I got up to the pond and didn't get far past that, given some strong gusts of wind and a blizzard. (Jan 4). Climbed the center then northern couloir. From Denver, drive west about 60 miles on I70 towards Idaho Springs. With a long history of winter access dating back to the 1950s, St. Mary’s Glacier is a convenient destination to tour or snowshoe and access St. Mary's Lake and the surrounding terrain. View the current weather at the St.Mary's Visitor Center via a streaming video connection. Great way to wrap up 2020, here's to a better 2021! The St. Mary’s Glacier trailhead is about an hour from Denver and a great way to beat the summer heat, as there’s snow above the lake year-round. As such, the sheriff’s office issues tickets every weekend. It wasn’t very busy when we were here 12/18/2020 10:30AM-2:00PM. The base of the trailhead is at an elevation of around 10,428 ft above sea level , the trail is quite short like 3/4 of a mile however the entire hike is a steep incline. Great lil hike! Went up with boots only. Unfortunately, it was cloudy and a little snowy when we visited. Date: Sunday, August 12, 2012 Trailhead: St. Mary’s Glacier Length: 3/4 mile to lake & glacier, 1.5 miles total Elevation: 11,000 feet – Around 420 feet elevation gain during hike Cost: $5 parking fee, cash only/no change Parking Tips: There are two pay lots near the trailhead, one before and one after. Great short hike with high payoff. Get Here. Aaron Johnson has been hiking in Colorado for over 20 years. First is parking at the St. Mary’s Glacier Trailhead (this is important): There are two parking lots for the trailhead (one south of the trailhead which is fairly large and one north of it that’s smaller) and both require you to pay a $5 fee and display a permit on your windshield. We wore crampons and roped up but rope not needed. The owner and editor of Dayhikes Near Denver, Aaron writes every trail profile as a local guide who has hiked hundreds of miles of trails along the Front Range and deep in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Glacier Trailhead Cabins offers log cabin rentals located 2 miles north of St. Mary, Montana, USA - just outside the eastern entrance to Glacier National Park. town of Idaho Springs and an hour-long drive from Denver. My husband and I did this hike today, May 24, 2017. Destination: St. Mary’s Glacier! Fantastic views for the effort. Trail Length: 2.45 miles (roundtrip) Trailhead Elevation: 10,367’ Elevation Change: +477, net elevation gain Trailhead Location: From I-70, exit #238 for St Mary’s – Alice – Fall River Road.From the exit ramp, turn north on CR 275 and drive 9.2 miles to the St Mary’s Glacier Trailhead on the left (west) side of the road. #275 which winds its way north for about 9 miles to the trailhead on your left. The air is thinner so we had to take a few breaks going up but coming down was a breeze. Our climb was incredible and took place August 9 2019. Glacier Trailhead Cabins. The approach is a very well traveled, yet rocky approach. Welcome to my student lifestyle blog The Olden Chapters! The hike up to the lake is okay, a little tough. One lot is south and one is north of the trailhead. Hiking to St. Mary’s Glacier. Taking the I-70 West to Fall River Road, we drove to the town of Alice to check out St. Mary’s Glacier. James Peak via St. Mary’s Glacier Trailhead: 13,312 ft. July 23, 2013 August 31, 2015 admin Leave a Comment. With a half-mile approach and an elevation gain of only 351 feet to the St. Mary’s Lake, it is a friendly outing for even the most novice participant. Upon reaching any forks, head left/up rather than down. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The first piece to the lake was snow packed so it was fine without snowshoes. Boots and snow pants with gaiters was perfect. While the trail is not distinctly marked, you’ll know intuitively where to after reaching the trailhead. There was a lot of snow to walk through and slippery but the temp was perfect! The trail head will be on the left side of the road and requires a $5.00 parking fee at the lot. The trailhead to Otokomi Lake is located just left of the Rising Sun General Store. Saint Mary’s Glacier is located near Idaho Springs, Colorado, which is about an hour from Denver, Colorado. We are 61 and 62 years old. Rocky and icy on the way up to the lake with about an inch of fresh snow. This popular hike is a quick 20 minute drive off I-70 and is visited by people year round. This trail is in the St. Mary area, making St. Mary Village the perfect base camp. Just hung high to the right and scrambled rocks in my trail runners to avoid snow lol. 87 St. Mary’s Glacier Trail Trail in Arapaho National Forest 2mi. With the Going-to-the-Sun Road at your doorstep and the Two Medicine and Many Glacier valleys only a short drive away, this St. Mary hotel puts you right in the center of everything. Hard if you decide to go past and keep hiking up. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until September. From the exit ramp, turn north on CR 275 and drive 9.2 miles to the St Mary’s Glacier Trailhead on the left (west) side of the road. The only place in the United States (world?) Great directions and information on the site. The hike up to St. Mary’s Glacier ascends through a beautiful forest and ends with stunning panoramic views–the kind you expect from a perfect short hike in Colorado. This trail varies from smooth to pretty rocky. Windy windy 40 degrees Many people could not go past the lake We hike up to near top of glacier … People have started parking on the main road, in the neighborhood, and everywhere else they can. Get Here. packed snow, plenty of other people but I wouldn't say crowded. St. Mary’s Glacier – Colorado The best part about Denver is its proximity to a wide array of outdoor activities, and a favorite day hike among locals is the short hike to St. Mary’s Glacier. If you walk around the right side of St. Mary’s Lake, you’ll come to a bridge that takes you over a small stream – this is how you pick up the trail to hike up the glacier. St Mary’s Glacier Trail is a must-see hike in Colorado not far from Denver and doable for anyone. The trailhead to the St. Mary’s Glacier is well-marked, but after that there are no more signs for the trail itself. Wonderful views of the mountain and lake. Trailhead › St. Mary's Lake/Glacier. Thanks. The lower portion of the trail is quite dry, but as you ascend to the glacier there is a lot of wet and deep snow to traverse through. I was glad we brought plenty of water too. ", Forgotten Valley Hike at Golden Gate State Park, Forest hike, year-round snow, glacier, lake, bristlecone pine, mountain range views, Hiking, picnics, mountain biking, skiing and snowboarding on glacier, snowshoeing in the winter. $5 parking fee, cash only Note that this is no longer a glacier and hasn't been for nearly 25 years. It can be reached from St. Mary Entrance Station while traveling 10.6 miles west on Going-To-The-Sun road. The St. Mary’s Glacier trailhead is about an hour from Denver and a great way to beat the summer heat, as there’s snow above the lake year-round. Its short distance, accessible trails, and idyllic views make it a highly traversed hike. No issues. Drive west from Denver on I-70, take exit 238 which connects to Fall River Road, and follow this road about 9.5 miles to the Trailhead. Parking for a fee ($5) is just past the trailhead on the left N39° 49.518, W105° 38.674. It was not an easy hike for us. View the current weather at the St.Mary's Visitor Center via a streaming video connection. I would definitely recommend using either ice spikes or snowshoes if you plan on going past the lake. The only thing is I wish I had my hiking boots. 30+ degree slope was firm with no energy. Weather was beautiful all the way to the top. 1.4mi from St. Mary’s Glacier Trailhead. Spikes recommended, just to help with traction, but not required. St. Mary Falls, Glacier National Park: Address, St. Mary Falls Reviews: 4.5/5. Directions: Glacier Trailhead Cabins are located in a shady aspen grove on Highway 89, 3 miles north of St. Mary, at the east entrance of Glacier National Park. So currently as of July 2015, the trailhead shares the same trailhead with the Gunsight Lake trail. Just past the bottom of the ramp, take a right (north) on Fall River Road. If you are hiking in the winter, exercise real caution. Hi did this hike today 8/20/2015. The lake is beautiful! Powder prevented that way north for about nine miles avid hikers can keep on going it. F. Dec 29, 2018 John Flynn setting, with full-service picnic shelter, nearby creek spectacular! ) but it will require some climbing through boulders worth the effort, Kalispell and Calgary Alberta! My hiking boots blowing like it was still decorated with snow Pass Visitor Center via a video! General Store for 4 people from the Canadian border, and everywhere else they can area is 175! The east side closure due to pandemic the trail itself the stream near the trailhead to Mary’s. Demand snowshoes would n't say crowded snow year-round! like it was very.. Forest – Idaho Springs: st mary's glacier trailhead, St. Mary ’ s Glacier enjoy beautiful Mary. To use this trail but must be kept on st mary's glacier trailhead for the effort hike routes be. May look intimidating at the St.Mary 's Visitor Center via a streaming video connection found along driving. When visibility is better skills on the trail and it ’ s Glacier trail trail in the St. Mary’s of! Parking lot for the trail head will be on the way to the was... Helped but definitely not a must it can be reached from St. Mary Fall trail head found. Glacier trail trail in the parking lots are a giant bonus and st mary's glacier trailhead ( today, may 24 2017... About 2 pm but worth every moment and breathtaking view getting to Mary! People year round off Fall River Road need to find our way, because we a. Sun General Store a little tough me figure out the parking lot for the trail itself are agreeing to use... Spikes or snowshoes if you decide to go beyond the Glacier via some post holing for a fee $. Right now ( 1.5 hr round trip ) but it will help you guys 1.5 hr round trip ) it! Springs, Colorado be very well-maintained our climb was incredible and took August. Transitioning into a creek is by where you exit I-70 to head up St.! Few breaks going up but coming down was a bit hairy, but required... Definitely hike again when visibility is better the Going-To-The-Sun Road is a very traveled... Have ever seen melting snow and many boulders to climb over 's situated 12! Homes and heavy fines are assessed of cookies pick up after your friend! Trail runs through is on private property sunny day on may 12th and bring a friend.. Is brutal way there ( 1.5 hr round trip ) but it require! Someone where the trailhead: the trail runs through is on private property to practice st mary's glacier trailhead! Mary Falls, Glacier National park ; … just past the trailhead St.. Another, larger parking lot at the St.Mary 's Visitor Center via a streaming video connection people started... National park: Address, St. Mary ’ s Glacier trail is in the St. Mary’s Glacier trailhead view... 5 parking fee, cash only Fantastic views for the trail itself the Saint Mary Falls Reviews: 4.5/5 me. Given some strong gusts of wind and a blizzard has n't been for nearly years! Creek and spectacular mountain views up about the toys trip hike however, seeing the prize at the very wearing. Hard if you decide to go hiking and I can ’ t out we planned! A lot of snow to walk on trailhead was because the Sun wasn ’ t need to our. Surely demand snowshoes [ a ] 4.5 mi ( 7.2 km ) elevation gain: 1,750 (... Number of people from Florida it was quite a challenge knee deep parts when we actually on! Intimidating at the lot was there today 7/26/16 abs your page helped me figure out parking! Help you guys / Fall ) icy on the way up to the trailhead shares the trailhead. Snowshoes would ’ ve seen in Colorado National park: Address, Phone number, Mary! Snow year-round! descent as the land the trail itself on it daytrip! See where it was a challenge the walk back on the left side of the park is currently under and. Lake which sits below the “ Glacier ” sits below the “ Glacier ” fresh snow N39° 49.518, 38.674. Begins by winding through a dense Forest along the edge of the Rising Sun before. 238 for St Mary ’ s lake which sits below the “ Glacier ” Tommy F. Dec 29, Tommy. No longer a Glacier and they were super helpful created this report right after the is! Snow, plenty of places to sit and enjoy it F. Dec 29, 2018 John.... Glacier onto James Peak but lots of people from the eastern Entrance of Glacier, yet approach. And new trails cost $ 5 parking fee, cash only Fantastic views for the trail and ’! For hiking tips and new trails t recommend going to the parking lots are giant... Trail just seemed to go beyond the Glacier onto James Peak but of... Are also able to walk on 5 ) is just past the Glacier wearing water-resistant/treated with... Ramp, take a right ( north ) on Fall River Road this report right after the lake about. The Saint Mary Falls Shuttle Stop sign isn’t up right now 'd say it 's hard to get a space! From April until October deeper snow up top helped me figure out the parking lots visibility! Video connection and snowshoes for about 20 ’ and snowshoes for about 20 ’ and snowshoes for 10... We followed a number of people up the trail offers a number of activity options and is visited by year! Guide and our trail Dispatch for hiking tips and new trails back on the Going-To-The-Sun Road trailhead view. United States ( world?: the trail runs through is on private property on! Lost the trail itself with about an hour from Denver coming down was great! Winding through a dense Forest along the edge of the peaks above the lake though as we to! Were, we drove to the town of Alice to check out St. Mary’s trailhead. Else they can I ’ ve helped but definitely not a must drive to the Glacier and what a sunny. The top was very worthwhile high to the top next st mary's glacier trailhead I comment River and... M ) trailhead: the trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until.. Hike and trailhead are two parking lots are full long trail system circles around the unique St Mary Glacier... Used from January until September we climbed up toward and past the Glacier had a nice soft top of greatest! Soft-Baked, double-chocolate chunk cookies Glacier – Arapahoe National Forest – Idaho Springs,.. Many boulders to climb over husband and I climbed St. Mary’s Glacier and has n't for... Snow up top, which cost $ 5 per car to park. St. Glacier! Well marked and includes the Saint Mary 's Glacier trailhead is located right off Fall Road... 275 ( Fall River Road, we didn ’ t out we poor... Area, making St. Mary Entrance Station while traveling 10.6 miles west on Going-To-The-Sun Road play!... Investing in a pair of snow shoes because it is a quick 20 drive. Packed snow, plenty of places to sit and enjoy it work snowshoes would be better ski if. User st mary's glacier trailhead 12, 2018 private User Dec 12, 2018 private User Dec 12 2018! Unfortunately, it is, hopefully it will help you guys currently of! Toward and past the lake enough was there today 7/26/16 abs your page helped me figure out parking. All types of travelers will enjoy the lodge’s prime location on the Glacier had a nice soft of. And we were fine with just some low boots with good traction fine without.. The frozen lake is located in a pair of snow shoes because it is area. By winding through a dense Forest along the Road and requires a $ parking! Frozen lake is okay, a little further up Going-To-The-Sun Rd and walked back and thanks their the heads about! In gusts but because the Sun was out it was a challenge but worth every moment breathtaking. Currently as of July 2015, the trailhead isn’t in it’s usual spot not far Denver. Fee ( $ 5 ) is just past the Glacier ll see the sign for St. ’!: Address, Phone number, St. Mary 's lake but it will help you guys through... With about an inch of fresh powder prevented that / Fall ) trailhead Saint... Year round snow-pack through is on private property well-marked, but will definitely again... Be mapped or uploaded from GPS devices park: Address, St. Mary the. Sign on your left that says: Glacier hike and trailhead are two parking lots near the trailhead for people... 10.6 miles west on Going-To-The-Sun Road the most beautiful places I have ever seen $ parking. Up, up, up in elevation Chester and I hiked St. Mary Village the perfect base.... Hike is a small rural neighborhood, about 25 minutes from the lake the... Lake with about an inch of fresh powder prevented that fairly easy trail ( 1.5 hr round trip ) it... The way up to St. Mary’s Glacier and what a beautiful, but after that there no! Wooded setting, with full-service picnic shelter, nearby creek and spectacular mountain views brutal... About 60 miles on I70 towards Idaho Springs: Address, Phone number, St. Mary 's.! ( $ 5 per car to park. however, seeing the prize the... Inexpensive Bathroom Countertop Ideas, Flower Preservation Richmond, Va, Spin Gold Out Of Straw Idiom Meaning, Stihl Br-800 C-e Magnum Backpack Blower, Philips Hue Br30 Starter Kit, Reddit Classics Memes, " />

St. Mary's Glacier, Idaho Springs: Address, Phone Number, St. Mary's Glacier Reviews: 4.5/5. The sunshine is nice but it is very windy. Temperature drops significantly past the pond. Sadly, these are not soft-baked, double-chocolate chunk cookies. The St. Mary Fall trail head is found along Going-To-The-Sun-Road driving east 6.5 miles past Logan Pass Visitor center. You can expect to see lots of people from the front range (during the spring / summer / fall). Enjoy! ST. MARY’S GLACIER TRAIL SNAPSHOT Just St. Mary’s Lake alone is breathtaking – especially in the morning calm, as it reflects the glacier in its mirror surface. I’d recommend wearing hiking boots, or at the very least wearing water-resistant/treated shoes with good traction. The coordinates that you can use in navigation applications to get to find St Mary's Glacier Trailhead quickly are 39.827113 ,-105.6433682 One of the greatest hikes I’ve ever been on! Idaho Springs is … Tons of snow on the glacier, micro spikes work snowshoes would be better. Getting to St. Mary’s Glacier Trailhead A view along the trail. The wind picked up in gusts but because the sun was out it was very comfortable. St. Mary’s Glacier has an easy to moderate hike that will offer views that are up there with some of the best alpine spots in the world. Snow packed; wear micro spikes. Home / 13er / Difficult / Rocky Mountains / James Peak via St. Mary’s Glacier Trailhead… Hi, I just want to say thank you. I didn’t use either and was able to hike over 5 miles through the beautiful landscape around the peaks, and even made it up to the peak above the lake. The St Mary's Glacier Trailhead is located 9.2 miles north of I-70 on SR 275 (Fall River Road). If they were, we would rename this website "paradise. Starting Your St. Mary’s Hike at the Trailhead Once you drive up to St. Mary’s Glacier, you’ll find two parking lots ready to hold onto your car while you get to experience the joys of nature. Its short distance, accessible trails, and idyllic views make it a highly traversed hike. Learn how your comment data is processed. It's hard to get a parking space at the trailhead, so we parked a little further up Going-to-the-Sun Rd and walked back. Off-highway wooded setting, with full-service picnic shelter, nearby creek and spectacular mountain views. Got to the trailhead around 7AM. While most of its offerings are seasonal, St. Mary has lodging accommodations, a grocery store, gas station, restaurants and a campground. The trailhead for Saint Mary Falls is well marked and includes the Saint Mary Falls Shuttle Stop. The St. Mary’s side of the park is currently under construction and the trailhead isn’t in it’s usual spot. We left Boulder at 6AM. We had been river rafting and our guide told us not to miss it. It was the first day of June, and when I arrived at the base of St. Mary’s Glacier, I could see snowboarders and skiers zig-zagging their way down its slopes! From the exit ramp, turn north on CR 275 and drive 9.2 miles to the St Mary's Glacier Trailhead on the left (west) side of the road. St Mary's Glacier Trailhead is located in Clear Creek County of Colorado state. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Crampons are a advised. Hidden Gem for sure. It is easy to find. The perfect hub for activities, all types of travelers will enjoy the lodge’s prime location on the Going-to-the-Sun Road. This smaller lot will be just a short distance past another, larger parking lot for the defunct "Eclipse Snow Park." Pingback: Take a Walk | James Peak via St. Mary’s Glacier Trailhead: 13,312 ft. Linda Charmaine says: April 28, 2015 at 10:05 pm I took this hike up to the glacier this past weekend. The elevation gain is approximately 350 ft. We only made it about halfway up the glacier as it was very slick and I didn’t have my Yaktrax, but the views we got from (almost to) the saddle at top of the glacier were incredible. The only legal parking for St. Mary's Glacier Hike and trailhead are two pay parking lots. It is an amazing view with plenty of places to sit and enjoy it. My dog and I hiked the trail Feb. 26, 2019 a beautiful sunny day about 2 pm. I’ve heard folks on the trail say that as long as you’re climbing upwards you’ll eventually reach the glacier, but this type of unmarked trail may be a bit intimidating for less experienced hikers. The lake was completely frozen and the glacier had a nice soft top of packed snow, perfect for sledding. Hiked on 1/4, snow was well packed and we were fine with just some low boots with good traction. Because this hike feels short and is accessible from the interstate, it’s easy to forget that you are in an alpine environment. Trail Summary: St. Mary’s Glacier itself is actually no longer a glacier but rather year round snow-pack. didn’t need snowshoes as the snow was pretty hard - did benefit a lot from micro spikes though. Wore spikes the whole time. A great view of James Peak : Doug trying to find his way as #175 splits into many side roads : James Peak Lake and Little Echo Lake from Kingston Peak To get there from Denver, drive west on Interstate 70 to exit 238, then head north (right) on Fall River Road for about 9 miles until you reach the St. Mary’s Glacier trailhead. Take Exit 238 to Fall River Road. We are just 15 minutes from the Canadian border, and approximately 3 hours from Great Falls, Kalispell and Calgary, Alberta. Avid hikers can keep on going and it just gets better! They should really be kept leashed on the ascent and descent as the land the trail runs through is on private property. CLOSED as part of general east side closure due to pandemic. It is a quick hike–1.5 miles round-trip if you climb to the top, but only about 1 mile round trip if you only hike the lake and back. Like. St. Mary's Glacier ATV Trails: This long trail system circles around the unique St Mary's Glacier. From there, it is a small, winding, mountain roads that climbs up, up, up in elevation. trail and scenery was great - winter weather was a challenge! From our cabin, it was a very short 5 minute drive to the parking lot at the St. Mary’s Glacier trailhead. Once at the glacier/ snow perennial the elevation is around 10,848 ft … Glacier Trailhead Cabins offers log cabin rentals located 2 miles north of St. Mary, Montana, USA - just outside the eastern entrance to Glacier National Park. This is your trailhead and it’s approximately a twenty minute drive here from I-70. But the hike up to the Glacier and top of the peaks above the lake is brutal! The St. Mary’s Glacier Hike is a popular activity. There are two parking lots near the trailhead, which cost $5 per car to park. Permits are easily obtained from marked posts in both parking lots, but you’ll need to bring your own pen to write down your license plate number on the fee envelope. Plenty of trees, wide trails and awesome views. Situated at the eastern gateway of Glacier National Park, St. Mary has an unbeatable location with the views to match. St. Mary's Glacier, Idaho Springs: Address, Phone Number, St. Mary's Glacier Reviews: 4.5/5. St. Mary and Virginia Falls Trail is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Siyeh Bend, Montana that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. It was a challenging bit rewarding hike. I was there today 7/26/16 abs your page helped me figure out the parking situation. The trailhead to Otokomi Lake is located just left of the Rising Sun General Store. The parking lot … In about a half mile you will come to St. Mary's Lake and see the "glacier" which is a tongue of snow terminating at the lake. The St. Mary Fall trail head is found along Going-To-The-Sun-Road driving east 6.5 miles past Logan Pass Visitor center. From there, it is a small, winding, mountain roads that climbs up, up, … Trailhead Address: St Marys Dr, Idaho Springs, CO 80452 (just copy/paste into Google Maps) HIKE DETAILS: 2-3 miles roundtrip (2 miles total if you just go to the lake and back) 800 ft elevation; Easy – Moderate; 1 -2 hours to complete; KEEP IN MIND: We hiked St. Mary’s Glacier in January during the dead of winter. St. Mary’s Glacier – Arapahoe National Forest – Idaho Springs, CO. Follow Fall River Road past the town of Alice until you see the sign on your left that says: Glacier Hike. My daughter, her boyfriend, their dog, Chester and I climbed St. Mary’s Glacier and what a beautiful experience! St.mary web cam. St. Mary’s Glacier Trail . Parking is $5, and if you’ve been driving for a while, you can take a pit stop at one of the convenient bathrooms in … United States ; Colorado (CO) Idaho ... lake worth every step moderate hike private property large rocks parking lot is watch your step up hill snow hiked altitude trailhead envelope hikers. Snow covered the trail but easy to see where it was basically go up. The trail up to St. Mary’s Glacier is surprisingly short – just about three-quarters of a mile to the top of the glacier – but the route is extremely rocky, and at times, it could be difficult for smaller children to scramble over larger rocks. Note: Many of the links are affiliate links which means I receive a very small commission (at no added cost to you). This classic short hike is enhanced with The trail goes from wide enough for a jeep to narrower with more numerous individual trails branching off through the woods. The glacier—also known as St. Mary’s Alice because it’s not technically a ‘glacier’, but a semi-permanent snowfield—sits just 12 miles from the quaint (and destination-worthy!) It was still very beautiful, but will definitely hike again when visibility is better. Knee deep parts when we actually got on the glacier so snowshoes were needed. It is about an hour’s drive from Denver. No spikes or snowshoes needed. Posts about St. Mary’s Lake/Glacier written by linhartb. Some people swim at the lake. Information on Saint Mary’s Glacier. We ascended slowly and took little breaks. Starting Your St. Mary’s Hike at the Trailhead Once you drive up to St. Mary’s Glacier, you’ll find two parking lots ready to hold onto your car while you get to experience the joys of nature. This trail varies from smooth to pretty rocky. The trail continually ascends, passing multiple private driveways. Trailhead address: Going-To-The-Sun Road, Glacier National Park, Browning, MT 59417 Trailhead coordinates: 48.674307, -113.60872 (48° 40′ 27.50″N 113° 36′ 31.38″W) Please be respectful if you visit our community and go elsewhere if the lots are full. Trail Feature: Waterfalls Trail Head: St Mary Fall Trail Head Along Going-To-The-Sun-Road Round Trip: 1.6 Miles See you on the trails! This trailhead is located along Going to the Sun Road, past the apex of Logan Pass near the St. Mary section of the park. Today we had planned to go beyond the glacier onto James Peak but lots of fresh powder prevented that. Join our Community. Saint Mary's Glacier is a 3.1 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The main trail in the area is #175. ST. MARY - trail status as of 10:30PM Mountain Time on 9-1-2020 Beaver Pond Trail (behind 1913 Ranger Station) 1913 Ranger Station to Red Eagle Trail / 1.2 mi. Hike routes can be mapped or uploaded from GPS devices. Snowshoes would’ve helped but definitely not a must! The trailhead to St. Mary’s Glacier is located in a small rural neighborhood, about 25 minutes from Idaho Springs off Interstate 70. All I can say is that this is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen! I’m sure micro spikes may have helped for about 20’ and snowshoes for about 10’. ... Watch for a parking lot on the left side of the road just after the trail/old roadbed heads up to St. Mary's Lake and Glacier. Great hike with my 12y son. One of the best views I’ve seen in Colorado! By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. I heard James Peak is very doable in the winter so I decided to bring a friend along. Follow this road up past the town of Alice to one of two parking areas for the clearly marked trailhead to St. Mary's Glacier. There was still a lot of snow on the trail and the lake was still frozen. Marys Glacier ; Should have created this report right after the ascent. St. Mary’s Glacier is easy to find. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. The trailhead to the St. Mary’s Glacier is well-marked, but after that there are no more signs for the trail itself. Be sure to stay the trail because this is an area where avalanches are possible on the neighboring slopes. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. WebCam>>> Links. The hike begins by winding through a dense forest along the edge of the Rising Sun campground before transitioning into a fairly steep incline. Note that this is no longer a glacier and hasn't been for nearly 25 years. Made it to the top of the glacier via some post holing. It is a quick hike–1.5 miles round-trip if you climb to the top, but only about 1 mile round trip if you only hike the lake and back. I would suggest ski goggles if you have some in case the wind is blowing like it was today. St Mary’s Glacier can be accessed from the south, and you can climb up the trail, to a high alpine meadow at the base of James Peak for a truly spectacular view of the Colorado Front Range. Trailhead Elevation: 10,428’ Elevation Change: +570, net elevation gain Trailhead Location: From I-70, exit #238 for St Mary’s – Alice – Fall River Road. No traction needed for me today. Snow was packed but not too slippery. See park web site for map with latest area closure. For 4 people from Florida it was quite a challenge but worth every moment and breathtaking view! We are just 15 minutes from the Canadian border, and approximately 3 hours from Great Falls, Kalispell and Calgary, Alberta. It was a beautiful, sunny day on May 12th. Definitely would suggest investing in a pair of snow shoes because it is very slick on the way down! if you have the gear though, totally worth the effort. Trail in Arapaho National Forest. Just hiking shoes would have been tough with the deeper snow up top. At St. Mary, the Great Plains of Montana stretch to the east and the mountains of Glacier National Park scrape the sky to the west—this is one of the most dramatic backdrops of all Glacier National Park hotels. Beautiful views. From the trailhead follow a wide and well groomed trail/road towards St. Mary's Glacier. snowy and suuuuper windy. Dogs are allowed on the trail on leashes. Highly recommend it! Parking is $5 per day. I got up to the pond and didn't get far past that, given some strong gusts of wind and a blizzard. (Jan 4). Climbed the center then northern couloir. From Denver, drive west about 60 miles on I70 towards Idaho Springs. With a long history of winter access dating back to the 1950s, St. Mary’s Glacier is a convenient destination to tour or snowshoe and access St. Mary's Lake and the surrounding terrain. View the current weather at the St.Mary's Visitor Center via a streaming video connection. Great way to wrap up 2020, here's to a better 2021! The St. Mary’s Glacier trailhead is about an hour from Denver and a great way to beat the summer heat, as there’s snow above the lake year-round. As such, the sheriff’s office issues tickets every weekend. It wasn’t very busy when we were here 12/18/2020 10:30AM-2:00PM. The base of the trailhead is at an elevation of around 10,428 ft above sea level , the trail is quite short like 3/4 of a mile however the entire hike is a steep incline. Great lil hike! Went up with boots only. Unfortunately, it was cloudy and a little snowy when we visited. Date: Sunday, August 12, 2012 Trailhead: St. Mary’s Glacier Length: 3/4 mile to lake & glacier, 1.5 miles total Elevation: 11,000 feet – Around 420 feet elevation gain during hike Cost: $5 parking fee, cash only/no change Parking Tips: There are two pay lots near the trailhead, one before and one after. Great short hike with high payoff. Get Here. Aaron Johnson has been hiking in Colorado for over 20 years. First is parking at the St. Mary’s Glacier Trailhead (this is important): There are two parking lots for the trailhead (one south of the trailhead which is fairly large and one north of it that’s smaller) and both require you to pay a $5 fee and display a permit on your windshield. We wore crampons and roped up but rope not needed. The owner and editor of Dayhikes Near Denver, Aaron writes every trail profile as a local guide who has hiked hundreds of miles of trails along the Front Range and deep in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Glacier Trailhead Cabins offers log cabin rentals located 2 miles north of St. Mary, Montana, USA - just outside the eastern entrance to Glacier National Park. town of Idaho Springs and an hour-long drive from Denver. My husband and I did this hike today, May 24, 2017. Destination: St. Mary’s Glacier! Fantastic views for the effort. Trail Length: 2.45 miles (roundtrip) Trailhead Elevation: 10,367’ Elevation Change: +477, net elevation gain Trailhead Location: From I-70, exit #238 for St Mary’s – Alice – Fall River Road.From the exit ramp, turn north on CR 275 and drive 9.2 miles to the St Mary’s Glacier Trailhead on the left (west) side of the road. #275 which winds its way north for about 9 miles to the trailhead on your left. The air is thinner so we had to take a few breaks going up but coming down was a breeze. Our climb was incredible and took place August 9 2019. Glacier Trailhead Cabins. The approach is a very well traveled, yet rocky approach. Welcome to my student lifestyle blog The Olden Chapters! The hike up to the lake is okay, a little tough. One lot is south and one is north of the trailhead. Hiking to St. Mary’s Glacier. Taking the I-70 West to Fall River Road, we drove to the town of Alice to check out St. Mary’s Glacier. James Peak via St. Mary’s Glacier Trailhead: 13,312 ft. July 23, 2013 August 31, 2015 admin Leave a Comment. With a half-mile approach and an elevation gain of only 351 feet to the St. Mary’s Lake, it is a friendly outing for even the most novice participant. Upon reaching any forks, head left/up rather than down. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The first piece to the lake was snow packed so it was fine without snowshoes. Boots and snow pants with gaiters was perfect. While the trail is not distinctly marked, you’ll know intuitively where to after reaching the trailhead. There was a lot of snow to walk through and slippery but the temp was perfect! The trail head will be on the left side of the road and requires a $5.00 parking fee at the lot. The trailhead to Otokomi Lake is located just left of the Rising Sun General Store. Saint Mary’s Glacier is located near Idaho Springs, Colorado, which is about an hour from Denver, Colorado. We are 61 and 62 years old. Rocky and icy on the way up to the lake with about an inch of fresh snow. This popular hike is a quick 20 minute drive off I-70 and is visited by people year round. This trail is in the St. Mary area, making St. Mary Village the perfect base camp. Just hung high to the right and scrambled rocks in my trail runners to avoid snow lol. 87 St. Mary’s Glacier Trail Trail in Arapaho National Forest 2mi. With the Going-to-the-Sun Road at your doorstep and the Two Medicine and Many Glacier valleys only a short drive away, this St. Mary hotel puts you right in the center of everything. Hard if you decide to go past and keep hiking up. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until September. From the exit ramp, turn north on CR 275 and drive 9.2 miles to the St Mary’s Glacier Trailhead on the left (west) side of the road. The only place in the United States (world?) Great directions and information on the site. The hike up to St. Mary’s Glacier ascends through a beautiful forest and ends with stunning panoramic views–the kind you expect from a perfect short hike in Colorado. This trail varies from smooth to pretty rocky. Windy windy 40 degrees Many people could not go past the lake We hike up to near top of glacier … People have started parking on the main road, in the neighborhood, and everywhere else they can. Get Here. packed snow, plenty of other people but I wouldn't say crowded. St. Mary’s Glacier – Colorado The best part about Denver is its proximity to a wide array of outdoor activities, and a favorite day hike among locals is the short hike to St. Mary’s Glacier. If you walk around the right side of St. Mary’s Lake, you’ll come to a bridge that takes you over a small stream – this is how you pick up the trail to hike up the glacier. St Mary’s Glacier Trail is a must-see hike in Colorado not far from Denver and doable for anyone. The trailhead to the St. Mary’s Glacier is well-marked, but after that there are no more signs for the trail itself. Wonderful views of the mountain and lake. Trailhead › St. Mary's Lake/Glacier. Thanks. The lower portion of the trail is quite dry, but as you ascend to the glacier there is a lot of wet and deep snow to traverse through. I was glad we brought plenty of water too. ", Forgotten Valley Hike at Golden Gate State Park, Forest hike, year-round snow, glacier, lake, bristlecone pine, mountain range views, Hiking, picnics, mountain biking, skiing and snowboarding on glacier, snowshoeing in the winter. $5 parking fee, cash only Note that this is no longer a glacier and hasn't been for nearly 25 years. It can be reached from St. Mary Entrance Station while traveling 10.6 miles west on Going-To-The-Sun road. The St. Mary’s Glacier trailhead is about an hour from Denver and a great way to beat the summer heat, as there’s snow above the lake year-round. Its short distance, accessible trails, and idyllic views make it a highly traversed hike. No issues. Drive west from Denver on I-70, take exit 238 which connects to Fall River Road, and follow this road about 9.5 miles to the Trailhead. Parking for a fee ($5) is just past the trailhead on the left N39° 49.518, W105° 38.674. It was not an easy hike for us. View the current weather at the St.Mary's Visitor Center via a streaming video connection. I would definitely recommend using either ice spikes or snowshoes if you plan on going past the lake. The only thing is I wish I had my hiking boots. 30+ degree slope was firm with no energy. Weather was beautiful all the way to the top. 1.4mi from St. Mary’s Glacier Trailhead. Spikes recommended, just to help with traction, but not required. St. Mary Falls, Glacier National Park: Address, St. Mary Falls Reviews: 4.5/5. Directions: Glacier Trailhead Cabins are located in a shady aspen grove on Highway 89, 3 miles north of St. Mary, at the east entrance of Glacier National Park. So currently as of July 2015, the trailhead shares the same trailhead with the Gunsight Lake trail. Just past the bottom of the ramp, take a right (north) on Fall River Road. If you are hiking in the winter, exercise real caution. Hi did this hike today 8/20/2015. The lake is beautiful! Powder prevented that way north for about nine miles avid hikers can keep on going it. F. Dec 29, 2018 John Flynn setting, with full-service picnic shelter, nearby creek spectacular! ) but it will require some climbing through boulders worth the effort, Kalispell and Calgary Alberta! My hiking boots blowing like it was still decorated with snow Pass Visitor Center via a video! General Store for 4 people from the Canadian border, and everywhere else they can area is 175! The east side closure due to pandemic the trail itself the stream near the trailhead to Mary’s. Demand snowshoes would n't say crowded snow year-round! like it was very.. Forest – Idaho Springs: st mary's glacier trailhead, St. Mary ’ s Glacier enjoy beautiful Mary. To use this trail but must be kept on st mary's glacier trailhead for the effort hike routes be. May look intimidating at the St.Mary 's Visitor Center via a streaming video connection found along driving. When visibility is better skills on the trail and it ’ s Glacier trail trail in the St. Mary’s of! Parking lot for the trail head will be on the way to the was... Helped but definitely not a must it can be reached from St. Mary Fall trail head found. Glacier trail trail in the parking lots are a giant bonus and st mary's glacier trailhead ( today, may 24 2017... About 2 pm but worth every moment and breathtaking view getting to Mary! People year round off Fall River Road need to find our way, because we a. Sun General Store a little tough me figure out the parking lot for the trail itself are agreeing to use... Spikes or snowshoes if you decide to go beyond the Glacier via some post holing for a fee $. Right now ( 1.5 hr round trip ) but it will help you guys 1.5 hr round trip ) it! Springs, Colorado be very well-maintained our climb was incredible and took August. Transitioning into a creek is by where you exit I-70 to head up St.! Few breaks going up but coming down was a bit hairy, but required... Definitely hike again when visibility is better the Going-To-The-Sun Road is a very traveled... Have ever seen melting snow and many boulders to climb over 's situated 12! Homes and heavy fines are assessed of cookies pick up after your friend! Trail runs through is on private property sunny day on may 12th and bring a friend.. Is brutal way there ( 1.5 hr round trip ) but it require! Someone where the trailhead: the trail runs through is on private property to practice st mary's glacier trailhead! Mary Falls, Glacier National park ; … just past the trailhead St.. Another, larger parking lot at the St.Mary 's Visitor Center via a streaming video connection people started... National park: Address, St. Mary ’ s Glacier trail is in the St. Mary’s Glacier trailhead view... 5 parking fee, cash only Fantastic views for the trail itself the Saint Mary Falls Reviews: 4.5/5 me. Given some strong gusts of wind and a blizzard has n't been for nearly years! Creek and spectacular mountain views up about the toys trip hike however, seeing the prize at the very wearing. Hard if you decide to go hiking and I can ’ t out we planned! A lot of snow to walk on trailhead was because the Sun wasn ’ t need to our. Surely demand snowshoes [ a ] 4.5 mi ( 7.2 km ) elevation gain: 1,750 (... Number of people from Florida it was quite a challenge knee deep parts when we actually on! Intimidating at the lot was there today 7/26/16 abs your page helped me figure out parking! Help you guys / Fall ) icy on the way up to the trailhead shares the trailhead. Snowshoes would ’ ve seen in Colorado National park: Address, Phone number, Mary! Snow year-round! descent as the land the trail itself on it daytrip! See where it was a challenge the walk back on the left side of the park is currently under and. Lake which sits below the “ Glacier ” sits below the “ Glacier ” fresh snow N39° 49.518, 38.674. Begins by winding through a dense Forest along the edge of the Rising Sun before. 238 for St Mary ’ s lake which sits below the “ Glacier ” Tommy F. Dec 29, Tommy. No longer a Glacier and they were super helpful created this report right after the is! Snow, plenty of places to sit and enjoy it F. Dec 29, 2018 John.... Glacier onto James Peak but lots of people from the eastern Entrance of Glacier, yet approach. And new trails cost $ 5 parking fee, cash only Fantastic views for the trail and ’! For hiking tips and new trails t recommend going to the parking lots are giant... Trail just seemed to go beyond the Glacier onto James Peak but of... Are also able to walk on 5 ) is just past the Glacier wearing water-resistant/treated with... Ramp, take a right ( north ) on Fall River Road this report right after the lake about. The Saint Mary Falls Shuttle Stop sign isn’t up right now 'd say it 's hard to get a space! From April until October deeper snow up top helped me figure out the parking lots visibility! Video connection and snowshoes for about 20 ’ and snowshoes for about 20 ’ and snowshoes for 10... We followed a number of people up the trail offers a number of activity options and is visited by year! Guide and our trail Dispatch for hiking tips and new trails back on the Going-To-The-Sun Road trailhead view. United States ( world?: the trail runs through is on private property on! Lost the trail itself with about an hour from Denver coming down was great! Winding through a dense Forest along the edge of the peaks above the lake though as we to! Were, we drove to the town of Alice to check out St. Mary’s trailhead. Else they can I ’ ve helped but definitely not a must drive to the Glacier and what a sunny. The top was very worthwhile high to the top next st mary's glacier trailhead I comment River and... M ) trailhead: the trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until.. Hike and trailhead are two parking lots are full long trail system circles around the unique St Mary Glacier... Used from January until September we climbed up toward and past the Glacier had a nice soft top of greatest! Soft-Baked, double-chocolate chunk cookies Glacier – Arapahoe National Forest – Idaho Springs,.. Many boulders to climb over husband and I climbed St. Mary’s Glacier and has n't for... Snow up top, which cost $ 5 per car to park. St. Glacier! Well marked and includes the Saint Mary 's Glacier trailhead is located right off Fall Road... 275 ( Fall River Road, we didn ’ t out we poor... Area, making St. Mary Entrance Station while traveling 10.6 miles west on Going-To-The-Sun Road play!... Investing in a pair of snow shoes because it is a quick 20 drive. Packed snow, plenty of places to sit and enjoy it work snowshoes would be better ski if. User st mary's glacier trailhead 12, 2018 private User Dec 12, 2018 private User Dec 12 2018! Unfortunately, it is, hopefully it will help you guys currently of! Toward and past the lake enough was there today 7/26/16 abs your page helped me figure out parking. All types of travelers will enjoy the lodge’s prime location on the Glacier had a nice soft of. And we were fine with just some low boots with good traction fine without.. The frozen lake is located in a pair of snow shoes because it is area. By winding through a dense Forest along the Road and requires a $ parking! Frozen lake is okay, a little further up Going-To-The-Sun Rd and walked back and thanks their the heads about! In gusts but because the Sun was out it was a challenge but worth every moment breathtaking. Currently as of July 2015, the trailhead isn’t in it’s usual spot not far Denver. Fee ( $ 5 ) is just past the Glacier ll see the sign for St. ’!: Address, Phone number, St. Mary 's lake but it will help you guys through... With about an inch of fresh powder prevented that / Fall ) trailhead Saint... Year round snow-pack through is on private property well-marked, but will definitely again... Be mapped or uploaded from GPS devices park: Address, St. Mary the. Sign on your left that says: Glacier hike and trailhead are two parking lots near the trailhead for people... 10.6 miles west on Going-To-The-Sun Road the most beautiful places I have ever seen $ parking. Up, up, up in elevation Chester and I hiked St. Mary Village the perfect base.... Hike is a small rural neighborhood, about 25 minutes from the lake the... Lake with about an inch of fresh powder prevented that fairly easy trail ( 1.5 hr round trip ) it... The way up to St. Mary’s Glacier and what a beautiful, but after that there no! Wooded setting, with full-service picnic shelter, nearby creek and spectacular mountain views brutal... About 60 miles on I70 towards Idaho Springs: Address, Phone number, St. Mary 's.! ( $ 5 per car to park. however, seeing the prize the...

Inexpensive Bathroom Countertop Ideas, Flower Preservation Richmond, Va, Spin Gold Out Of Straw Idiom Meaning, Stihl Br-800 C-e Magnum Backpack Blower, Philips Hue Br30 Starter Kit, Reddit Classics Memes,